Dalston Eastern Curve Garden at Christmas.
Christmas is almost here! Find out about free, local activities for all the family.
This year Hackney has invited 4 top fashion designers, James Long, Lou Dalton, Craig Green and Princess Julia, to create Christmas Trees. Look at for them around the borough!
- Hackney singers Christmas concert: Hackney Singers present a free evening of Christmas music and carols, in aid of Hackney and Islington Winter Night Shelters. 19 December at 7.30-9pm, St Peters Church, De Beauvoir Road, N1 4DA.
- Festive Christmas songs in Dalston Square: Come and join Age UK East London in Dalston Square. Listen to choirs from across Hackney and join in with favourite festive tunes. 20 December at 4.30-6PM in Dalston Square, next to Dalston CRL James Library, E8 3BQ. Info:firstname.lastname@example.org; or call: 020 8981 7124/ 07969 379 429.
Festival of carols: Annual carol service for staff, patients and members of the public to attend. Simply turn up on the day and join in on the service. On 17 December 2014 at 5.45pm, St Bartholomew-the-Great, West Smithfield, London, EC1A 9DS.
- Cycle Cinema: come along to St John at Hackney Church to help power a free showing of films, Frozen and The Lego Movie. Families can also sit back and enjoy the two films, with free cake as a reward for those with peddle power. 15 December, doors: 4pm. Frozen: 5pm, The Lego Movie: 7.30pm.
- Hackney libraries have a range of festive fun! Find out more about how they are celebrating the holiday here.
- Christmas open studio: Enjoy a local arts and crafts alternative to High Street Christmas shopping. Handmade functional and sculptural ceramics will be for sale from 14 participating artists and designers. 11-13 December, 11am-6pm at Glebe Road Studios, 18 Glebe Rd, E8 4BD.
- Christmas Past: The Geffrye Museum‘s period rooms are transformed with authentic festive decorations, lighting, greenery and music, giving a magical glimpse into how Christmas has been celebrated in English homes over the past 400 years. The exhibition is accompanied by a full programme of events. Geffrye Museum, 136 Kingsland Rd, Shoreditch, E2 8EA. 020 7739 9893.
- Festival of Light This annual festival celebrates the importance of light during the long, dark winter months. Choirs and festive music events will also take place throughout December, with late night openings Thursday to Sunday. Throughout December at the Dalston Eastern Curve Garden, 13 Dalston Lane, E8 3DF.
- Winterville: Entry to the town of Winterville is not only free, but plenty of the entertainment on offer is too, including the Kids Quarter . Based at Victoria Park, Winterville is open from 2nd December-1st January.
- The Museum of London has a range of craft, object handling and storytelling activities over the Christmas holidays:
- Join Bella Burdock as she finds the clues and tells the story of Christmas present stealing thieves on Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th December 2014.
- Watch the fantastic family friendly production of A Christmas Carol on Monday 29th and Tuesday 30th December 2014.
- Make your own cunning disguises at craft workshops on Tuesday 30th and Wednesday 31st December 2014.
Want a downloadable version of this information? You can get it here: Christmas 2014.
Online Christmas Guides
Have a Hackney Christmas: With the support of Hackney’s business community, the Council will again Make Hackney Sparkle with a selection of free festive events, activities and entertainment that will run throughout December.
Have the jolliest holiday with Time Out’s complete guide to festive events, activities and shows in London this Xmas.
In case of emergency
If you or someone you know is in crisis, find out who to contact here.